Add to Flipboard Magazine.
Retreat Reviews: "I thought my dreaming days were over, but since leaving my teaching job, I have started a new career and my husband and I are exploring China for two years!! Dream Positioning works for both of us as we move forward together..." -Shulah S. Retreat Participant "My wife and I attended a retreat run by Dr. Lavi years ago. Things we learned still help us keep things exciting!" -Bill and JoAnn H., previous participant

Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Tuesday's Psychology Tips: 20% of Women Are at Risk for Mental Illness in 1st Year After Childbirth

Photo by Gagilas
Thought for the Day: Last night I read the first part of an article in the New York Times, 'Thinking of Ways to Harm Her' on New Findings on Timing and Range of Maternal Mental Illness, by Pam Bellock. I felt the findings were so important that I wrote several Tips on HealthTap. New research is indicating that postpartum depression is not the only thing women need to be aware of and getting help for during pregnancy and the 1st year after giving birth. Read on to see why:

Here are the tips I composed from the article:


Tip #!: What To Ask Your Doc: Ask Dr RE: New finding 20% of women suffer from depression episode in 1st year after giving birth.

Tip #2Interesting Fact: In the 1st year after giving birth between 1/8 & 1/5 of women develop symptoms of depression, anxiety, BiPolar Depression or Obsessive Compulsive Disorder  or a combination of them.

Tip #3: Interesting Fact: Genes, hormones, & stress seem to cause 20% of women to suffer mental illness in 1st Year after giving birth.  

Tip #4: What To Ask Your Doc: Previous depression puts women at greatest risk of maternal mental illness Ask your Doctor if you are at risk. 

Tip #5: Interesting Fact: Having a relative who suffers from Bipolar Depression puts women in 1st year after giving birth at risk for mental illness. 

Tip #6: Dos & Don'ts Maternal depression can develop any time during the pregnancy and first year of the infant's life. Get help if you start feeling depressed.

These are just some of the research findings. I strongly recommend that you read the entire New York Times article. if you or anyone you know is pregnant, it will help to understand that the changes they are going through may lead to depression or other forms of mental illness. Just as it is important to get help for Post Partem Depression as soon as possible, it is important to seek treatment if other issues arise. Please pass this information on to friends and family. Knowledge is power and this information will empower many women and their children by helping to prevent the impact of mental illness on the early stages infants' lives.

You can follow me and read my answers to questions and more tips on HealthTap. You can ask experts all your medical questions 24/7. It is an amazing site which is helping people from around the world and changing the delivery of medical  advice by leaps and bounds.


No comments: