Add to Flipboard Magazine.
Retreat Reviews: "I thought my dreaming days were over, but since leaving my teaching job, I have started a new career and my husband and I are exploring China for two years!! Dream Positioning works for both of us as we move forward together..." -Shulah S. Retreat Participant "My wife and I attended a retreat run by Dr. Lavi years ago. Things we learned still help us keep things exciting!" -Bill and JoAnn H., previous participant

Wednesday, April 3, 2013

Wednesday's Words of Wisdom: Karen Horney on Pride


Thought for the Day: On Monday, I shared how to parent difficult children & overcome self doubtTuesday's Psychological Trivia question addresses self confidence. Today, I chose a quote about building self esteem by one of the pioneers of feminine psychiatry, Karen Horney. Horney was born in 1885 in Germany & was one of the first female psychiatrists. She dared to challenge Freud's theories of personality & sexuality. Many of her theories were ahead of their time. The Horney Clinic in NYC still honors her contribution to the field & offers affordable psychotherapy. When thinking about building self confidence in ourselves & our children, her simple words make sense: "If you want to be proud of yourself, then do things in which you can take pride." In a time when women rarely went to medical school or worked after having children, she forged a path in the field of psychoanalysis. Horney was able to accomplish a great deal despite (or perhaps because of) her own struggles with depression.  She continues to be a role model for women today. Looking at her accomplishments including the books authored by Horney (see below), she practiced what she preached. She would surely be proud of the part she played in women's progress over the years. I hope you will come back tomorrow for the answer to Tuesday's Psychological Trivia Question & on Friday for #FF Friday's Fabulous Finds.

To read more about the life & work of Karen Horney click here.
Books by Karen Horney:

Neurosis and human growth
Neurosis and human growth

The therapeutic process
The therapeutic process

No comments: