Add to Flipboard Magazine.
Retreat Reviews: "I thought my dreaming days were over, but since leaving my teaching job, I have started a new career and my husband and I are exploring China for two years!! Dream Positioning works for both of us as we move forward together..." -Shulah S. Retreat Participant "My wife and I attended a retreat run by Dr. Lavi years ago. Things we learned still help us keep things exciting!" -Bill and JoAnn H., previous participant

Saturday, October 12, 2013

Saturday's Songs for the Soul: Gordon Lightfoot & Changes


Thought for the Day: The last couple of weeks I shared some of my readers' stories & songs that had special meaning for them over the years. Today, I'm sharing a song that brings back great memories for me. As I began to prepare this post, I was thinking about the fall & the changing of seasons. I'd love for you to share other songs about changes that have helped you cope with the inevitable changes in life, as well. I may share them here, if it's ok with you.

I learned the song, "Changes," many years ago. It was written by an extraordinary singer songwriter, Phil Ochs. However, I learned it from Canadian friends who were on a leadership training program with me in Israel after I graduated from high school. Somehow, since Canadian singer songwriter,  Gordon Lightfoot, made it famous in Canada, I was led to believe he wrote it. The lyrics & the melody are haunting beautiful. In songwriting when there is perfect pairing of words & melody, the song is said to have "prosody." Prosody helps a song communicate the emotions attached to the story.

I have not listened to "Changes" for many years. We played & sang the song so many times that it began to lose it's meaning for me. However, today, when I played it, it brought back the nostalgia & bittersweet feelings associated with the changes that are part of life.

I decided to share one of Lightfoot's other songs which I always loved as well, "Early Morning Rain."

In addition, if you would like to learn more about Lightfoot & his life & career, there is a longer video from a canadian Television show, 16X9 in 2012 with the 74 year old troubadour.


 Have a great weekend.

No comments: