Add to Flipboard Magazine.
Retreat Reviews: "I thought my dreaming days were over, but since leaving my teaching job, I have started a new career and my husband and I are exploring China for two years!! Dream Positioning works for both of us as we move forward together..." -Shulah S. Retreat Participant "My wife and I attended a retreat run by Dr. Lavi years ago. Things we learned still help us keep things exciting!" -Bill and JoAnn H., previous participant

Monday, March 11, 2013

Motivational Mondays: #Gunsense Send Your Message to Congress

Thought for the Day: This Monday, I'd like to start the week off by helping you have a voice in Washington DC, but I will need your help to do it. Those of you following my blog have seen multiple posts about the rising violence in our society. As a psychologist, I am concerned about the traumatic impact this rise in violence has on our society. From bullying (Bullying Part I, Bullying Part IIBullying Part III , Bullying Part IV), to intolerance, to educational & mental health proposals to the Newtown tragedy, I have been raising my voice for saner gun control, more respect & tolerance in our society. I have written to the president asking for changes not only in gun control, but also in education & mental health provisions to help curb bullying & violence in our schools & society. This Wednesday, I will get a chance to speak my mind with senators & congressmen in Washington DC when I join a nonpartisan group of concerned mothers & fathers, Moms Demand Action for Gunsense in America. Statistically 90% of Americans want more #gunsense when it comes to legislation about safer control of guns, ie. enforcing background checks, closing loopholes which allow transfers of guns without background checks, & stopping of gun trafficking of illegal guns from state to state.

I would like your help today. If you have something you hope I will be able to convey to representatives in congress, please post a comment. I will bring along a print out with your comments to leave with every representative that I see. Feel free to write your feelings about the rise in gun violence & how it has impacted you, your children & your community. You are all experts on how the news about Newtown, Aurora & other gun violence have impacted on you. If you are a parent, how did you feel when you sent your children to school on the bus after the Newtown tragedy? Are you worried about their safety? Do you want teachers to carry guns? Have your children asked you questions that you are struggling to answer? If you are a retired teacher in Indiana, Wyoming or anywhere in the United States who found yourself crying all weekend after Newtown, write about it. If you are a therapist & have been speaking with your clients about their fears & concerns, please write about what your clients are feeling.  Your voice, feelings & experiences are important.

I will be joining mothers (& fathers) from across the nation for a day long event followed by a press conference with Senators Barbara Boxer & Diane Feinstein as two of the slated speakers. I will share my thoughts & impressions here as soon as possible, so check back often. (I may add additional posts or change the line up of posts, so this might be a good time to follow or set up an RSS feed of the blog.)

Please post whatever messages you would like to have me bring to the hill!

8 comments:

Unknown said...

Im just a mom. That probably doesnt count for much among the halls of power in DC. But it sure as hell defines my life - and it is the fuel that charges me with every action I take, every call, every rally, every effort I make to get some gunsense in this country. I have a 4yo - and with each day since Newtown my anger has grown. I am also the wife of a fine man, who happens to be a NON NRA gunowner. They dont speak for him - or for me. They didnt speak for my Dad, who joyfully ripped up his member card in the early 80s once their psychotic break became obvious. I want them out of my Congress, and out of my Constitution. In fact, I demand it now. They have turned this country inside out and upside down with a singleness of purpose that would be admirable - were it not so malevolent. Profiteering off of blood, for decades. In case they're not hearing us, I'll say it louder: They are done. America is DONE with them. 75 million gun owners have rejected them, it's time Congress did too, or they can hit the unemployment line, and I don't care what party they're affiliated with. I've always voted, no matter what. Going forward I will vote will single intention - better gun regulation. I want my country back.

Anonymous said...

I know violence with guns is a hot ticket and getting worse, but limiting access to guns by responsible law-abiding citizens is wrong. There is NO check or law that will eliminate senseless violence. There is no gun, knife, choking device, etc. that has ever injured or killed someone without being used by someone. It doesn't matter what "weapon" someone finds/uses, it is the person that is the problem, not the device.

There are many symptoms contributing to this problem, but having too many or the wrong types of guns is not the problem.

Barbara Lavi said...

Thanks +Coco Mars for your powerful comment, I will copy & share with whomever I meet on Wednesday!

Barbara Lavi said...

Dear Anonymous,
I do not think that law abiding citizens have anything to worry about when it comes to gun sense. You are right that not all senseless violence can be eliminated, but we must try to find sensible ways to stop gun traffickers & the proliferation of semi-automatic weapons that can do far more harm than knives within seconds & stop law enforcement officers from doing their job to protect our children & citizens. I will share your post as well, since the conversation is what must happen to find more sensible ways to stop the violence. Thanks for sharing.

Unknown said...

I know power with guns could be a hot price tag and obtaining worse, however limiting access to guns by accountable law-abiding voters is wrong. there's NO check or law which will eliminate senseless violence. there's no gun, knife, choking device, etc. that has ever scraped or killed somebody while not getting used by somebody. It does not matter what "weapon" somebody finds/uses, it's the person who is that the drawback, not the device.

The Equation book

Barbara Lavi said...

Dear Henry,
No one wants to limit access to guns for law abiding citizens. Assault weapons however, are not for sport, they are for war & they kill faster than other forms of weapons. They do not belong in our schools, movie theaters or in our society. In reality, more children & family members are killed by the weapons they keep at home in crimes of passion, accidents or by kids who don't know how to hadle a gun & pick one up when it has not been properly locked up, than by intruders. We must do something to curb the violence in our community. #Gunsense is something that the majority of gun owners & non-gun owners want.
Barbara

Anonymous said...

Mrs. Lavi, as a Veteran I think the your trying to remove the access to weapons is against what the Constitution stands for. As to what Henry Jordan had said is 100% correct it is not the device that causes death and destruction it is the person behind said weapon. One point here Assault weapons are already against the law

Barbara Lavi said...

Dear Anonymous Veteran,
I am not opposed to law abiding citizens having guns, that is their right. Universal background checks will help keep guns out of the hands of people who want to use them just for death & destruction. Semi-automatic assault weapons with high capacity munitions are being sold & have no place in schools, theaters or on our streets. Banning them will help reduce the possibility of mass killings like Sandy Hook & Aurora. Life, liberty & the pursuit of happiness, also guaranteed by the constitution, were not protected in these attacks. Eight innocent children a day are killed by guns in our country. Common sense regulations will help protect children from accidents & from those who intend to do harm. I would like to see insurance policies for all guns, just like car insurance or life insurance. Barbara