Add to Flipboard Magazine.
Retreat Reviews: "I thought my dreaming days were over, but since leaving my teaching job, I have started a new career and my husband and I are exploring China for two years!! Dream Positioning works for both of us as we move forward together..." -Shulah S. Retreat Participant "My wife and I attended a retreat run by Dr. Lavi years ago. Things we learned still help us keep things exciting!" -Bill and JoAnn H., previous participant

Saturday, June 15, 2013

Saturday's Songs for the Soul: A Musical Feast: "Take Five" with a World Beat


Take a Bite of this Musical Feast 
Image credit: LoveIt.com

Thought for the Day: Today's musical selection is a discovery that came from my online social networks. Last week on Saturday I posted a very funny rap remix of Mr Rogers. I don't post very often on a Facebook group from Bellaire High School in Texas where I went to school, but somehow I felt people in the group would like it. One of the members of the group, Jim Simpson, liked it. He shared a link to this rendition of “Take Five,” written by Paul Desmond & made famous by The Dave Brubeck Quartet in 1959. The jazz instrumental has been performed by countless great musicians, but this one is like no other I've ever heard.

Brubeck Room at Wilton Public Library

Before he died last year, Brubeck called this innovative cover by The Sachal Studios Orchestra, based in Lahore, Pakistan, the “most interesting” version he had ever heard. Brubeck lived in Wilton CT & donated a wonderful  listening room to the Wilton Public Library. I have had the pleasure of seeing multiple concerts & movie screenings in this beautiful room. If you are in CT it is well worth visiting, catching a concert or renting for a reasonable fee. Social networking brought you music from Pakistan via Texas to here in Connecticut & out to wherever you are in the world via this post. If we learned to communicate to resolve world conflicts as well as we do about music perhaps we could bring world peace.

If you have an unusual musical cover or an inspirational piece of music, please feel free to share it with me. Have a wonderful weekend!



No comments: