Add to Flipboard Magazine.
Retreat Reviews: "I thought my dreaming days were over, but since leaving my teaching job, I have started a new career and my husband and I are exploring China for two years!! Dream Positioning works for both of us as we move forward together..." -Shulah S. Retreat Participant "My wife and I attended a retreat run by Dr. Lavi years ago. Things we learned still help us keep things exciting!" -Bill and JoAnn H., previous participant

Saturday, May 18, 2013

Saturday's Songs for the Soul: Maria Callas, Bizet's Carmen & Ravel's Bolero

 
Photo from Gemm.com


Thought for the Day: Today I chose one song from Bizet's Opera: Carmen & Ravel's Bolero. It is performed by Maria Callas in 1964. I dedicate this classic to my mother & step-mother as part of my Mother's day month. As a young child, I listened to Carmen hundreds perhaps thousands of times. I don't remember exactly what the cover looked like, but the above cover reminds me of it. It was one of my two favorite albums from my mother's extensive collection of classical music. I did not understand the words to the opera, but the raw emotions came through loud & clear. I chose a rendition of L'amour est un oiseau rebelle - Habanera - Carmen - Bizet performed
by Maria Callas in honor of my step-mother, Noni. I first heard about her in the 60's from Maria Callas from Noni who loved & spoke about her. The music from Carmen still strikes me as some of the most expressive ever written. Ravel's Bolero was another record that we nearly wore out. I still love how it gradually builds up from a quiet tempo to a powerful surge.  My brothers & I listed to both of these LP records till they became scratchy. This version is by the Wiener Philharmoniker
conducted by Conductor: Gustavo Adolfo Dudamel Ramírez. Have a wonderful weekend.


No comments: