Add to Flipboard Magazine.
Retreat Reviews: "I thought my dreaming days were over, but since leaving my teaching job, I have started a new career and my husband and I are exploring China for two years!! Dream Positioning works for both of us as we move forward together..." -Shulah S. Retreat Participant "My wife and I attended a retreat run by Dr. Lavi years ago. Things we learned still help us keep things exciting!" -Bill and JoAnn H., previous participant

Wednesday, May 22, 2013

Wednesday's Words of Wisdom: Elizabeth Kubler-Ross



Thought for the Day: Today's Words of Wisdom come from Elisabeth Kübler-Ross, M.D. She was born in 1926 in Zurich Switzerland.  She graduated from medical school in Switzerland in 1957 & specialized in psychiatry in United States. As a medical student she was disturbed by the treatment of dying patients. in her groundbreaking book, On Death and Dying (1969), she first discussed her theory of the five stages of grief.[1]

The above quote, "I'm not Ok, you're not Ok & that's Ok." reflects her belief that when we are grieving we should not have to pretend to be "Ok." By accepting that part of the process of grief is to be depressed, people are better able to get support of others & work through the stages of grief. All too often, modern society expects mourners to act as if they are OK. Her work helped teach therapists, ministers & other caregivers ways to help people deal with the normal process of grieving. Kubler-Ross passed away in 2004.

 

No comments: