Add to Flipboard Magazine.
Retreat Reviews: "I thought my dreaming days were over, but since leaving my teaching job, I have started a new career and my husband and I are exploring China for two years!! Dream Positioning works for both of us as we move forward together..." -Shulah S. Retreat Participant "My wife and I attended a retreat run by Dr. Lavi years ago. Things we learned still help us keep things exciting!" -Bill and JoAnn H., previous participant

Monday, May 5, 2014

Motivational Mondays: Tabitha's Wish and A Video Everyone Should See


Thought for the Day: I have two motivational pieces for today. One is an example of how social media can do good and the other on how important it is to "Look Up" from your phone and computers. The 1st story cam to me via a message from a facebook fan. Duncan K McLindon had left me a note some time ago. His message went unnoticed  since he had posted it on a Facebook page for my psychology practice, ACT Now Psychotherapy.  An intern created the page, but until about a week ago I had not posted anything there. I post regularly on a facebook fan page for  my book, but simply never made time for the other page. Last week, I posted how a 3 year old can teach us about philanthropy. When I read Duncan's message, I was moved and wrote back that I would share his 12 year old daughter Tabitha's story today.  It is yet another story of what children can teach us.
     My plan was just to share Duncan's story, but today I saw another post of a video which we all need to see and share with everyone we know. It has been viewed on YouTube by over 13 million people, so it is clearly a powerful video. I hope you will read on, see both sides of the equation and share it with people you know and care about. On the one hand, social media can enhance our lives. However, on the other hand, too much of a good thing can detract from our lives.  




First, here is the story of Tabitha, Duncan's daughter in his words:
Tabitha
"April of 2011 my little girl Tabitha at the young age of 12 went to the DMV to get a state ID so she could open a checking account. At this time she had never been sick a day in her life other than a common cold . As she was getting her ID they asked her the same questions as if she were getting an driver's license and asked her if she would like to be a organ donor. She said yes. She over heard the man in the booth next to her say no. On the way home she asked her mom, "Why do you think that man said no to becoming a donor?"

One week to the day later, Tabitha went in to a coma from a rare brain bleed. With in days they told us there was nothing they could do for Tabitha and she had passed away. They asked us if we would like to donate her organs. But Tabitha had already answered that for us. Because Tabitha had never been sick and her body had no trauma she was able to donate all of her organs and go on to save 7 lives. She helped many others with her gift of life.

One week to the day later, Tabitha went in to a coma from a rare brain bleed. With in days they told us there was nothing they could do for Tabitha and she had passed away. They asked us if we would like to donate her organs. But Tabitha had already answered that for us. Because Tabitha had never been sick and her body had no trauma she was able to donate all of her organs and go on to save 7 lives. She helped many others with her gift of life. 
This past year has been the toughest year of my life by far. The one thing that has helped me get up every day and live my life other than for my son, is knowing it was TABITHA'S WISH. One week shy of a year of Tabitha passing I met the little girl that received Tabitha's lungs. I cannot put into words how that has helped with my hurt, other than it was like a ton of bricks off my back. 
So in closing I would ask that you share Tabithas story with your kids . So if it was ever to be their time they also could live on. Please share that with your friends and ask them to do the same."
      If I was not on Facebook I may never have heard this story or been able to share it with you. On the other hand, here is a video that encourages us to "Look up" and live our lives to the fullest but turning off all our electrical devices.
'Look Up' is a lesson taught to us through a love story, in a world where we continue to find ways to make it easier for us to connect with one another, but always results in us spending more time alone.
Written, Performed & Directed by Gary Turk.

         As a psychologist, I encourage you to do both, look for ways to connect and help others via the vast world  of "virtual" communities that the the internet and social networking sites provide and look up and into the eyes of real people to connect and with others in your "real" life. I'd love to hear how virtual and turning off the appliances have helped you connect and enhance your life.            

No comments: