Add to Flipboard Magazine.
Retreat Reviews: "I thought my dreaming days were over, but since leaving my teaching job, I have started a new career and my husband and I are exploring China for two years!! Dream Positioning works for both of us as we move forward together..." -Shulah S. Retreat Participant "My wife and I attended a retreat run by Dr. Lavi years ago. Things we learned still help us keep things exciting!" -Bill and JoAnn H., previous participant

Wednesday, January 15, 2014

Wednesday's Words of Wisdom: Carl Rogers and Dr. Barbara Lavi on Optimism and Psychotherapy


Thought for the Day: It seems fitting to start Wednesday's Words of Wisdom posts in 2014 with an uplifting quote:
"When I look at the world I'm pessimistic, but when I look at people, I'm optimistic." Carl Rogers
These words come from Carl Rogers, 1902 - 1987, a highly influential 20th century psychologist. He was one of the founders of the humanistic or client-centered approach to psychotherapy. Dr. Rogers authored 16 books and more than two hundred articles. Among the many honors bestowed on Rogers was the Distinguished Scientific Contribution Award of the American Psychological Association. Rogers believed in the basic goodness of mankind, free will and that human beings strive for self-actualization and creativity. 
     When I find a quote for these posts, I often think my job is done. I write a bit about the quote and the author and I'm finished. However, this morning I woke up and realized it had inspired me to write an additional quote. I guess I'd forgotten how much my orientation to therapy was influenced by and is aligned with Rogerian theory. I spend my days doing client-centered psychotherapy, focusing on their tragedies and triumphs and trusting in their ability to grow and transform their lives. When I was looking for photos for the post on morguefile.com, there were many others I wanted to use. The photos also inspired me to write my own quote. Here are some of the photos and the thoughts that the quote by Rogers evoked for me:


"I am always surprised when people say, "Aren't you bored listening to people's problems all day?" My work is never boring. Every day, I am inspired by, and privileged to help foster, people's creative ability to solve problems, overcome adversity and rediscover their dreams." Dr. Barbara Lavi

Come back next week for the 2nd post from the Top 10 Words of Wisdom 2013 for the Top 5 Words of Wisdom posts from 2013.

No comments: